Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sheengate Publishing Ltd.

Today was my first day at my internship with Sheengate Publishing Ltd. Sheengate Publishing distributes lifestyle magazines to four surrounding areas of South East England; Richmond and Barnes, Surrey Downs, Elmbridge and Guildford.

My internship is an hour and a half commute, but so far it seems worth it. I have to take the District line to the end which is Wimbledon. Then I switch and get on the National Rail and align at Hampton. This bit of the journey is a bit tricky because if I do not make the train that I want (either at a :28 or :58) then I have to wait a half hour until the next train. From the station it is about a 7 minute walk to the business building. There is an upside to my commute, the platform where my train departs from has a Starbucks (downside: I will spend all my money there).
The office is very layed-back. I arrived at 10:30 (my supervisor doesn't work until there) and met everyone. The downstairs office is for advertisement so I do not work with those people. The only interaction we have is when I make tea since the kitchen is downstairs. Upstairs is the editorial room. My supervisor is Richard Nye. He is really quirky and really wants me to get the most out of my internship. He told me what he had planned for me and then he made sure to ask me if that was what I wanted. I also work under an editor by the name of Con. Though I don't have much interaction with him because he has his own office and he always keeps the door shut. Since the magazine writes for four areas some of the writers come and go each day. Today I worked alongside Catherine, Sandy, Mary and Francoise. Francoise is a hysterical French woman with a mixed British/French accent. She is one of those people where one small bump makes her world crumble. I can't even count how many times she said, "Oh fuck, shit, wanker."
All my co-workers are very nice, though I wish I had someone my age. I have no problem talking to them, I just feel like I am on a different level (which obviously I am). Everyone would always ask me about every hour if I wanted a cup of tea. Brits and their tea is no joke. Cathy and Francoise would have a cigarette break every hour followed by a tea break. Sometimes I wonder how they get their work done.
Today I did research on Camilla Dallerup. She is a professional dancer on Britain's Strictly Come Dancing (their version of Dancing with the Stars). She is the face of Sandown's Coral-Eclipse which is a horse racing stakes. We are interviewing her for an article so I conducted the interview questions that will be sent to her. Hopefully she will respond by next week and then I will write the actual article. I am a little nervous since editorial writing isn't my thing. Richard also wants me involved in a fashion lay-out. I also reminded him that I am interested in photography so I believe there will be some times when he sends me out to take pictures for the magazine.
After a long day at work, having a 2 hour commute home isn't very fun. Next on my to-do list: invest in more books, some games for my i-pod as well as some movies.

1 comment:

  1. Miss you, dear Shannon, but am so glad you are experiencing life so deeply and making great memories!

    ReplyDelete