Friday, June 11, 2010

Every girl's dream

...or everybody's dream for that matter at one point in their life, is to become a rockstar or a member of a band. Once again my dream of becoming a rockstar resurfaced after watching The Runaways. Cherie Currie (aka Dakota Fanning) and Joan Jett (aka Kristen Stewart) had a wild ride to fame.

The Runaways were formed in late 1975 by drummer Sandy West and guitarist Joan Jett. The two began to practice and introduced themselves to Kim Fowley, who agreed to put together an all girl rock band that would be "bigger than the Beatles." Lita Ford, Jackie Fox and Cherie Currie were discovered and added to complete the line-up. And imagine, most of them were only 16!

I can't even imagine what their lives must have been like (though I did get a slight idea from the movie The Runaways). The cliché phrase of sex, drugs and rock n' roll really does sum up what the girls in the band went through. They were determined to become famous. They really didn't have anyone looking after them. Manager Kim Fowley was doped out on drugs himself that he only seemed to make things worst for the band. The Runaways did have the potential to be as big as the Beatles. All they needed was a little guidance and a little less cocaine to get them to the top.

Even though I would love to say that I wish this happened to me (small town girl get noticed, joins a band and becomes famous for awhile) I don't think I would have survived. I wish I could be as hardcore as Cherie and Joan were in their metallic cat suits and David Bowie-inspired jackets and haircuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment