Saturday, June 26, 2010

Divorced, beheaded, died.

Divorced, beheaded, survived.

These words were whispered in the halls of Hampton Court Palace. The palace that King Henry VIII took after beheading Cardinal Wolsey.

I cannot believe that this is my last weekend in London (though I know I WILL be back, just not sure when exactly). I am trying to fit in as much stuff as I possible can. Today Elizabeth, Lindsey, Katy and I traveled to Surrey (which is where I worked) to Hampton Court Palace. Along the way we stopped by Whole Foods to bring a picnic with us. We sat along the side of the palace in front of the river and enjoyed our yummy salads and some music from my i-pod.

Then it was time to go in the palace. We were informed that King Henry VIII and Catherine Parr were getting married. So the first stop was to the ladies chambers to help her pick out her wedding dress. I passed one of the members of the King's council and he mentioned to me that I should be careful walking around with my Anne Boleyn necklace. I wasn't scared though. I didn't think that the king would have my head chopped off too. After that we began exploring, turning corners and not knowing where we would end up. We walked through the kitchen where a HUGE fire was going. And boy do I mean HUGE!

We then made our way to the backyard. It was full of countless gardens, a grape vine and a maze. The maze was smaller than I imagined, but not any easier. The goal is to find the middle. We took turns leading so once you got to a dead end it was the next person's turn to lead. After we made it to the center of the maze we made our way to the rose garden and the Privy Garden. The Privy Garden is a beautiful green arch that lights up only from the sun's natural sunlight.

We explored the castle for a good 4 hours I would say. The palace was massive, if I was the queen I would definitely want to live there. As I mentioned before I am obsessed with the Tudor Dynasty so it was so neat and exciting to walk the same halls as Henry VIII once did. Once we were done exploring the castle we stopped for some ice cream before going back to London. We again enjoyed our snack by the river.

When I got back I had just enough time to change and get ready to go see The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre. I am so glad that I got to see this play/musical. The colorful costumes and orchestra were amazing. I definitely recommend people to go see this show.

Tomorrow: Brighton and Luton to visit Annie and Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment