Monday, May 10, 2010

Sentimental Heart



Today for History class we went to the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. I was definitely NOT thrilled. I went there with my science class two years ago on a cold, rainy day. Our professor, Neale Monks, had not idea where we were going; he had us jumping on and off trains. I had a bad experience to say the least, so you can only imagine my excitement for going back to the museum.

In class we are learning about Colonial America and the Atlantic Worlds. I have never been a fan of American History, but being able to go to museums makes it much more interesting. I really enjoyed a painting by William Fox titled, "Revolt aboard a slave ship." The painting depicts slaves revolting and committing suicide because the voyage across the Atlantic was so brutal. The voyage could take up to six months and carried between 200 and 400 people. It is said that 1 in 7 people died. Seeing the paintings and artifacts make the learning experience more interesting; It is always so much better seeing the art in person rather than from the pages of a history book.
After our time at the National Maritime Museum we made the hike up to the Royal Observatory. The prime meridian looked the same, still a line on the ground. Not much to say about that.

May 10th...wasn't a total bust. After group dinner Elo, Maeve, Katy and I went to the She & Him concert in Sheperd's Bush. After getting of the tube we immediately started walking to the right. After walking for about 15 minutes in a sketchy part of town we figured we should probably look up directions. We has asked for directions earlier but the man led us to Sheperd's Bush Hall, not 02 Sheperd's Bush empire...two totally different places. We wondered into an internet cafe and discovered that the concert hall was a block away from the tube station, if you go left. We managed to still make it with plenty of time.

The opening act was the Chapin Sisters (who are actually their back up singers, I saw them at Coachella). The two sisters looked like they were straight out of Woodstock. They had long, blonde hair and acoustic guitars. One wore a white gypsy skirt with a cream colored belly shirt and the other wore a white dress with puff sleeves.
The two blondes are the Chapin Sisters. Next up...She & Him. I was so excited to see them perform again even though I just saw them about three weeks ago at Coachella. Zooey was actually wearing the same blue dress she wore at Coachella. I love She & Him because they have such a unique sound. Their songs sound like songs that would be played at a school dance in the 50's. Edward has this low, raspy voice that makes you just melt. And Zooey, well we all know that the girl can sing.

It was sort of strange though...no one was dancing at the concert. It seemed as if Elo and I were the only ones enjoying ourselves. Everyone else was just standing there (I don't think the British like to dance). Elo and I didn't care. We were dancing by ourselves in our own corner. IT WAS GREAT! I also got to add a new record to my collection!

1 comment: