Thursday, May 13, 2010

Give me any word...


So, when I was studying abroad two years ago it seemed like all we learned about was Greece. Greek architecture, Greek roots, Greek artifacts. No matter what subject you were learning about, somehow it always related back to the Greeks. Our first Educational Field Trip...Greece. Don't get me wrong, I love Greece. Santorini, Mykonos are both so beautiful. By the end of the trip though all my fellow peers and I were sick of Greece. It seemed like we couldn't get away from Greece and Katarina's morning greeting of, "Kalimara!"

You are probably wondering why I am talking about Greece? Well I will tell you...today for our History class we went to the British Museum. Let me remind you that we are learning about Colonial America. You know, like the Revolutionary War and Declaration of Independence and all that good stuff. All that stuff that California public school kids had to learn about each year in their Social Studies class but you never actually paid attention so you never actually learned it. My class and I were in one exhibit that featured Southwest American Indians and their culture such as weaving and tools used for hunting and gathering food. Do not ask me why or how, but then we got on the topic of the Greeks and their ancient artifacts such as the Parthenon and the sculpture of Venus. I do not know how this relates to Colonial America but somehow it does. When Hicks and Rachel were talking about the connection I just zoned out. Just like the father from My Big Fat Greek Wedding believes, everything relates back to Greece. How? How is that possible? I do not know.



At the museum we ran into Bonnie Greer. She is an American born playwright and critic who resides in London. You should have seen Hicks when he saw her. He was like a tween girl meeting Robert Pattinson aka Edward Cullen for the first time. I thought he was going to squeal from all the excitement. He could barely get any words out to form a sentence (usually you can't get Hicks to shut up). Bonnie was appointed by then Prime Minister, Gordan Brown as a member on the Board of Trustees at the British Museum. She was filming some sort of documentary about the American Indians exhibit so she took some time to talk to us. They even filmed us too...next stop Hollywood!

No comments:

Post a Comment