Sunday, May 23, 2010

Je T'aime Biarritz


This weekend I finally made it to Biarritz, France. I have been planning this trip for about four years now, ever since my best friend's grandparents moved there. Monique is from Haiti and speaks fluent French so she always wanted to retire in France. My best friend Sophia and I would spend every Memorial Day weekend and countless days during the summer with the Powell's in Manhattan Beach. Monique and Jesse are like my third grandparents.

Unfortunately, Jesse had to fly back to Florida so I wasn't able to see him. But I did get to spend time with Monique and one of her sisters (I hadn't seen her for about 12 years because she use to live in Haiti but now lives in Biarritz too). I arrived on Friday afternoon. I went to the Powell's to drop my bags off and then Monique and I went exploring. We walked down to the beach, which is literally 2 minutes from their house, along the coast and then up to the main town square. During our walk we made sure to stop for ice cream and Orangina.Walking around in the 80 degree weather made me exhausted, so after dinner we went back to the house and watched the movie French Kiss with Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline before going to sleep.
I have been sick for the past week so I slept in til about noon on Saturday. I took my time getting ready because restaurants do not open until about 2pm. We went to St. Jean de Luz which is about 15 minutes away and walked along the beach and main pier. At the top of the pier there is an old Fort which is now abandoned but still pretty to look at. After that we went to the market and did a lot of window shopping and a lot of ice-cream eating (accompanied with Orangina of course). I was told that I had to go to the Musee Asiatica so that was next on our to-do list. The museum has artifacts, paintings and sculptures from India, Tibet, China and other Asia countries.

When we walked out of the museum, the streets were packed with people in Red and White....the reason? Biarritz's Rugby team was competing in the finals. I joined in with the locals and watched the game on the big screen in the middle of the town square. Unfortunately Biarritz lost by a mere two points.

Saturday night was quiet and relaxing filled with good Mexican food (London's is really bad so I have been craving it) and more movies. Before I left we went to a restaurant called La Plancha which is right on the beach. What a perfect way to end a perfect weekend.

3 comments: