Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Day in the Country



This morning was quite a struggle. I did not want to wake up early to go to Windsor Castle, but of course it was a mandatory event. Even though I wasn't thrilled this morning I still enjoyed my time in Windsor and Eton.
On our way to Windsor we stopped at John F. Kennedy's memorial. The five foot tall plaque is located above a meadow. We walked about half a mile across a meadow and up old, stoned steps. It was like walking through an enchanted forest, surrounded by trees and flowers.
Windsor has such an interesting history behind it. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert both lived and died there. Prince Albert died forty years before Victoria and she had his clothes layed out every morning until she died. Sad, but sweet. I just recently watched Young Victoria with Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend, so it was interesting making the connections between the movie and the actual castle. Our tour guide walked us up to the small town in front of the castle, where we watched the parade of guards. After the parade we went and explored the castle. After the tour of the castle we had some time to get lunch. A couple of us went to a pub which was so warm (nice change from walking around in the cold and rain). I had the Roasted Butternut Squash pie and chips. It was delicious. We still had some time to spare so we walked to a coffee shop and grabbed a cappuccino. Next stop Eton College.

Eton College is a private all boys school where Prince William and Harry attended. Since it was a Saturday we didn't see many students walking around...too bad. After Eton College it was time to go home. All of us were ready. It was a long day, walking around in the freezing cold.

1 comment:

  1. As usual, your photos are beautiful. I love the steps....magical.

    ReplyDelete