Jane Eyre was written by Charlotte Bronte about a plain, naive, sometimes outspoken governess, who softens the heart of her employer Mr. Rochester, who is hiding a secret in the back room of his house. I remember reading the novel during my sophomore year in high school and I remember every boy complaining about having to read it. The girls in my class were the ones that lead the discussions about Jane and Rochester's romance and whether they were meant to be together. In the beginning, Rochester treats Jane with disrespect making her feel inferior to him. Yet deep down he loved her, he just didn't know how to act around her since it was proper for a wealthy man to marry his governess.

Cary Fukunaga's film adaptation of Jane Eyre made me want to read the novel again and again. Though I do think that he makes Mr. Rochester (played by Michael Fassbender) a bit more likable in the film. In the novel you want to hate the character because you believe that Jane deserves someone much better. Be warned that the film was a bit slow like most period pieces are, but the score, costumes and greenery make you wish you were actually there at the Fairfax Manor. The mainly piano based score added to the ambiance of the slow blossoming relationship between Jane and Rochester leading the audience content with the happy ending. My favorite scene is one in which Mr. Rochester lights a fire for him and Jane after Jane finds out his secret. You see his hand holding a match to the wood and the wood slowing catching fire, the flames moving upward til the fire is set.
I must admit that I also enjoyed the film due to the attractive men in the film. Jamie Bell plays St. John Rivers who is a bit hostile and angry at the beginning when he first meets Jane but this is only because he wants to marry her. Why is it that men always treat women poorly when they like them? Just tell them. Jamie Bell is English so of course, naturally, I would like him. And Michael Fassbender plays the sometimes intolerable Mr. Rochester. Again, why can't he just tell Jane he has feelings for her? After watching the film I searched Fassbender on iMDb and found out that he was Irish! Perfect match. Only 12 years older. He was linked to Zoe Kravitz who is the same age as me so there is still hope, I may have a chance.
So to sum things up, if you like romantic period pieces this is another one to add to your collection.



No comments:
Post a Comment