
One thing that I have learned about Russians is that they have no sense of time or direction. Our bus ride was suppose to take about 2.5 hours. We left at 6:30am so that we could stand (literally) in on an Orthodox Literagy. Well, we missed that (thankfully) because the ride took us 5.5 hours. It was miserable. Russia does not have any real, paved roads. There are no lines painted to designate which side of the road you should be on so everyone just does there own thing. We almost crashed about 10 times. Due to the fact that the driver avoided these collisions, he was unable to avoid swerving. This consequence made me extremely sick.

Once we finally got to Starraya Russa we were suppose to have a tour of Dostoevsky's summer home. Hillary and I were so sick that we could not handle being inside because we were so nauseous so we walked outside for fresh air. Our plan was to sit alongside the river, but the problem was that if we stood or sat in a spot for too long, we would be eaten alive by mosquitoes. I have about twenty bites. Not sure how I got them because I was wearing pants, a sweater and boots. Moral of the story: I hate Starraya Russa.

Then we had to back track an hour to get to Novgorod. It was here that Steph and I got in trouble for laying down in the grass. Two police officers came up to us with their K-9 dog. We then walked around some bell statue for about twenty minutes, went into St. Sophia's where we were yelled at by babuschkas for who knows what reason, climbed some tower that had contemporary art and then went to dinner.
We then drove the long 5 hour drive back home.
I am ready to go back to America.
No comments:
Post a Comment