Monday, June 20, 2011

LACMA Art Exhibition

Now that I have a computer again--I can finally blog! So excuse the next few posts. They will be sort of random, but they involve what I have been up to lately.

First things, first-- The weekend that I got back from Russia my mom, her friend Beth and I went to see the Tim Burton's exhibit at the LACMA. I have always been a fan of Tim Burton's films (especially the 6 that involve Johnny Depp). We were immediately greeted with a quirky face like one that could be found in Nightmare Before Christmas. With its mouth wide-open, it became the door to the rest of his work. As I walked through the 5 room exhibit, I was amazed at all of his drawings. Many of them were doodles on pieces of papers, like ones you would find in middle school student's notebooks. My favorite parts of the exhibit would be:

1. The costumes from the movies, especially the hand from Edward Scissorhands.


2. The black light room with a neon carousal that hung characters from his movies and drawings. The room even had a score by Danny Elfman playing. He does a lot of the music for Tim's movies.

"
The exhibition brings together over 700 drawings, paintings, photographs, moving-image works, storyboards, puppets, concept artworks, maquettes, costumes, and cinematic ephemera, including art from a number of unrealized and little-known personal projects.
" -http://www.lacma.org/art/exhibition/tim-burton

Warning: Those who are scared of clowns (like me) please beware that Tim has an obsession with clowns. One of the walls in one of the rooms is lined with drawings, sketches of clowns.

I think that I am going to buy a membership to the LACMA. I know they were having a deal that if you became a member you received free tickets to this exhibit. You also get other benefits like private viewings and free admission at selected times. I am hoping to go to one of Tim Burton's films that are being screened at the exhibit.

Next art stop: Banksy at the MOCA.

No comments:

Post a Comment