Thursday, July 18, 2013

Cambridge Sunshine


My dissertation has officially been submitted. It is no longer in my hands, so I am not going to worry about until results for returning for a viva come out. Now that I am not stressed out from school work, I can actually enjoy the Cambridge sunshine and do some tourist-y things that I wasn't able to do during the year.
On Tuesday Carly, Mel, and I enjoyed a beautiful day in Grandchester. We decided that because the weather was so nice, we should take advantage of being out in the sun. So we made our way the The Orchard at Grandchester. The Orchard used to be a gathering spot for famous poets and writers including Rupert Brooke and Virginia Woolf. We had a lovely lunch while seated under shady trees before walking the grounds; we walked along the river and would stop to enjoy nature's beauty. Before leaving we enjoyed tea and scones because of course you can't go to Grandchester and leave without trying their famous scones.
After Grandchester we went back to college because we were meeting some friends to go punting. It was a bit hectic, and stressful because everyone was out on the River Cam. The only downside to having nice weather is everyone comes out to enjoy it as well so everywhere you go there are thousands of people getting in your way. We still managed to have a good time, but after being out in the sun all day I was exhausted.
Our last stop was the Botanic Gardens. We went to their tea room to get a drink and some crisps to keep us going. We had about an hour to walk around the grounds and see all of the various trees, flowers, and rock gardens. I then my way back home to have a quick nap before meeting up with Eva.
Eva and I spent the remainder of the evening at the Varsity Rooftop. The Varsity is a hotel that has a rooftop bar that is open for everyone. It was still warm outside so it was the perfect place to enjoy the sunset. Eva and I also went to see Romeo and Juliet, which is a part of the Shakespeare in the Gardens summer festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment