Suicide Sunday marks the end of exams, but unfortunately for me I don't have exams. I have a thesis, so I still have work to do. Nevertheless I was still able to enjoy the week's festivities and push my never ending to-do list to the back of my mind.

As I said, Suicide Sunday marks the end of exams and the beginning of May Week. May Week is filled with elegant balls, garden parties, and sing-songs on the River Cam. The girls make their own schedule for the week, as do the boys. I'm not sure why the girls and boys don't go to Garden Parties as a group, but I guess it is part of the tradition. Either way, all of my friends ended up at the same Garden Parties so we were all able to celebrate together. The first Garden Party we attended was Wyverns at Anstey Hall, which is Magdalene's College Drinking Society. There was a DJ, mechanical bull, and two bouncy houses. This party was definitely the most wild and out there (dress code was blazers and shorts, bikinis and shades), but from what I hear it was a lot more tame than the past years.

Next up was Trinity Hall. This college is right on the river so we enjoyed sipping on our Pimms as we watched tourists punt by. I sort of felt like I was a zoo animal because all of the tourists were taking pictures of us- Cambridge students in their Sunday best. We enjoyed tunes from a Celtic folk band, ice-cream from an old-fashioned ice-cream truck, and of course strawberries and cream.
St. Edmund's Garden Party was next. It was definitely the most classy and family-friendly. There were Giant Tea-Cups (like the ones at Disneyland), plenty of carnival games, cotton candy and more. Morris Dancers provided the entertainment and even got some of my friends to join in.
Last but not least was Murray Edwards, which is a college just behind Eddies. Murray Edwards was the perfect end to such a long, tiring day. We all sat on the grass, talked, laughed, and enjoyed a little music.
No comments:
Post a Comment