Monday, June 3, 2013

Sister Bonding


Yesterday was a glorious, sunny Sunday in Cambridge and to make it an even better day, I had some visitors. A few of my sorority sisters are living in London for the summer at the Pepperdine house so I invited them up to show them around around. I knew one of the girls, Kelly, because I pref-ed her my senior year. The other two girls joined after I left Pepperdine so it was great to meet part of the new pledge class.
We joined my friends Darina, Kate and Murphy for brunch at a restaurant called Baroosh. The restaurant has an outdoor patio on the roof that overlooks part of the city centre so it was the perfect spot to enjoy the morning sunshine. We then made our way toward Magdalene College by the quay. There, we signed up for a guided punting tour. St. Edmund's owns its own punts, but since I had never been before I didn't trust myself to be the punter. The punting tour goes down the River Cam towards what is known as "the backs". The backs is exactly that, the backs of the bigger and well-known colleges: St. Johns, Trinity, Kings and Queens. Our punter had some funny stories to share (not sure if they were true or not because punters tend to make stuff up) and we didn't tip so it was great fun in my book. The girls wanted to explore some of the colleges so I took them to Johns. We walked across the Bridge of Sighs and leisurely strolled along the multiple lawns.
Next stop: Harriet's Teahouse. My friend Dawn discovered this gem and it is now one of our writing spots. They don't mind if we sit and work for hours and they make a killer mocha. We enjoyed our tea and scones before heading to Evensong at Kings College Chapel. Evensong is a service of evening prayers and psalms that is song by a young choir. The choir's voices were beautiful and echoed against the stain glass windows. After the service we walked around the market square before heading to the train station.
It was so nice to spend the day with my sorority sisters. It was a great distraction from all the stress of trying to write my thesis. The perfect day didn't end there. When I got back to Eddie's the sun was still shining and some of my friends on the May Ball committee were out in the back of college so I joined them until the sun went down. It's important to "soak up the sun" because there aren't to many days like the one today in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment