Friday, November 9, 2012

Living in a Cambridge World


Tonight I went to another formal hall dinner. As I walked back to my room after sharing a wonderful dinner with some of my Eddie's friends, I realized just how lucky I am. I have been blessed with an amazing family, one that loves, supports, and encourages me to go after my dreams. They have always believed in me even though I constantly doubted myself repeating phrases like "I can't do this", "I'm not good/smart/funny enough". I am so extremely thankful that some how with the help of God, my family, and the U.S. Government, I have made my way to Cambridge University.
I know that I complain sometimes about the traditions of the university, but I really do feel as if I am living in some alternate universe; a universe where it isn't unusual to see young men, strolling through the city centre, dressed in tuxedos and academic gowns. Although I do not particularly enjoy wearing the academic robes mainly because they are so unflattering, I do enjoy the setting of formal hall in which we are required to wear them. I enjoy getting dressed up and having candlelit dinners with my friends. *We aren't allowed to take pictures during formal hall, but I found this picture of one of my friends, Ben. Gives you an idea of the formal hall atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment