Thursday, September 27, 2012

Walking Around Cambridge


I woke up this morning and was determined to make this a "good" day. So after giving myself plenty of sleep and time to get ready, I then ventured out into the unknown. I walked around the main city centre for a couple of hours with the sounds of Mumford & Sons, the xx, The Avett Brothers, Tegan and Sara, and Iron & Wine streaming through my headphones. I didn't know where I was going, but luckily enough it is pretty much a straight path from St. Edmund's to the main city centre.
While I was strolling along the cobblestone paths, I stopped in some familiar shops like Waterstones, where I picked up Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower in the off chance that I have time for an outside free reading book. I also ran some errands and found the post office and a place where I can top up my mobile. Unfortunately since I had to pack for a whole year in two bags I didn't have room to pack one of the essentials for England, an umbrella. Have no fear, I know where a Cath Kidston store is so I bought an adorable umbrella covered with pink roses. When I was done with my errands I began to walk down small side streets (not too many to get myself all turned around and lost) and passed some of the better known colleges of Cambridge.
When most people think of Cambridge University they think of old, tall, pointy castle-like buildings like the ones in the Harry Potter films (yes, some scenes from Harry Potter were filmed in Cambridge). I passed by some of those old, tall, pointy castle-like colleges which are King's College and Trinity College. The architecture is beautiful, stunning. Rivers run just on the side of these colleges as well and since it was a nice sunny day today, there were many punters out. And for those of you who don't know what punting is, essentially it is the British version of an Italian gondola ride. Apparently there is a huge competition between Oxford and Cambridge punters during the spring time in London; hopefully I will be able to go.
This evening I went to Eddie's Bar which is our school's bar located in the building just across from by dorm. A girl I met earlier today while walking back through campus suggested that I go so I met up with her and chatted with a few other people she met. I talked to a girl from Australia, a girl from South Africa, and a boy from Ireland who once caught a salmon in Ballina. St. Edmund's truly is the most international college out of all the colleges here.

No comments:

Post a Comment